Moving from abroad - immigration

If you move from abroad (immigration) or will be staying for at least 4 months, you will need to register with the municipality in person within 5 days of arriving. If you have a partner and or children who are moving with you then they will need to make an appointment as well. For example, if your a family of 4 you will need to make 4 appointments. This also applies if you have lived in the Netherlands before and are moving back.


Unfortunately at this point its not possible to make the appointment in English. Below you will find the explanation on how to make yourself an appointment in Dutch.

  1. First page: click on the green button which says - bewaar en ga verder.
  2. Choose a date and click on it so it will show you the times available. Click on the time of your choice.
  3. Naam - Name.
  4. Geboortedatum - date of birth, dag - day, maand - month, jaar - year.
  5. Telefoonnummer - phone number.
  6. E-mail adres - e-mail address.
  7. Click on the green button - bewaar en ga verder.
  8. Last but not least, check if all your details are filled in correctly and click on - bevestig de afspraak.

You should now have a conformation e-mail as well.

Please note that if you get an error while trying to make an appointment that there are no available date and times in the upcoming 4 weeks.

Make an appointment

Required documents

  • a completed application form aangifte vestiging buitenland (pdf, 4 MB) (pdf in different languages)
  • a valid travel document (passport or identity card) or other legal document with your personal data and nationality
  • a valid residence permit (if applicable)
  • where applicable: the rental or purchase contact for your home in the Netherlands
  • permission from any main occupant with whom you will be living and a copy of their valid identity document (if applicable)
    verklaring hoofdbewoner (pdf, 37 KB) (pdf in Dutch)
  • a certificate of deregistration from the population register (if you come from Belgium, Germany, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, Sint Eustatius or Sint Maarten)

If applicable:

  • a birth certificate of each person who is eligible to be registered (for EU citizens an international birth certificate)
  • a marriage and/or divorce certificate(s)
  • a death certificate (proof if the marriage is dissolved by death)


Not all documents are automatically valid in the Netherlands. The civil registry will only accept official documents in Dutch, English, French or German. An official translation will be required for other languages. Some documents may also require proof of authenticity (legalisatie).

More information on this subject is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

You will be sent your citizen service number (BSN) at the same time as your proof of registration (brp extract). You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.

Residence permit

You can find more information about a residence permit on the IND website. Your registration will be final once the IND confirms the municipality that you are residing in the Netherlands lawfully.